Find the Best Colleges in South Dakota
South Dakotans welcome students from all around the world with unique backgrounds, cultures, and interests. Rapid City is a popular college town with colleges like the School of Mines & Technology, which offers 16 excellent engineering and science programs. Additionally, Black Hills State University is one of the biggest public universities in the state. The campus is divided into three colleges including the College of Business, College of Education, and College of Arts & Sciences. If you’re into sports, this university has a rodeo, cross country, football, basketball, and many more teams!
In addition to offering students a well-rounded higher education experience, South Dakota is also applauded for having beautiful scenic nature. On weekends or academic breaks, students in South Dakota can experience the waterfalls of the Big Sioux River.
Summary: South Dakota Colleges and Universities
CollegeStats makes it easy to compare colleges in South Dakota by tuition, degree program types, and many other college stats. Here’s an overview to help with your search.
- Community and technical colleges: The state has 6 community and technical colleges offering 2-year associate degrees in various fields of study.
- Public four-year and graduate colleges: South Dakota is home to six public four-year and graduate colleges: Black Hills State University, Northern State University, Dakota State University, University of South Dakota, South Dakota State University, and South Dakota School of Mines & Technology. Students can obtain undergraduate bachelor degrees in various subjects, or advanced Master’s and PhD degrees.
- Private four-year and graduate universities: There are a dozen private four-year and graduate universities in South Dakota offering a diverse variety of academic programs. Augustana College is the most popular private institution in South Dakota with a student body of almost 1,800 individuals paying an in-state tuition cost of approximately $28,800. It also happens to be the most expensive private institution in the state.
Take a glance at our list of top South Dakota colleges below.
|Rank||School Name||City||State||Net Cost||School Level||Retention Rate||Details|
-24 - of
Fun Facts about South Dakota
Here are some fun facts about South Dakota worth knowing before going to school here!
- The famous Mashed Potato Wrestling Contest took place in Clark, SD.
- Casinos in SD cannot hang signs that say “casino.”
- Keystone is where the “Little House on the Prairie” author, Carrie Ingalls spent most of her adult years.
- The tallest water tower in the state is in Bowdle.
- The honeybee is SD’s official state insect.
- South Dakota is home to 39 state parks and recreational areas of nature.
- It is also known as the “Coyote State.”
- The state’s largest university is the University of South Dakota. It enrolls an average of 11,800 students.
Excited to begin your higher education in South Dakota? Narrow the list of South Dakota colleges with our easy-to-use search tool to determine which degree program is best for your goals.